Marriage and Weddings
The Celebration of the Sacrament of Marriage at Saint Agnes
To celebrate the Sacrament of Marriage at Saint Agnes Church:
- One or both of the parties involved must be members of Saint Agnes Parish.
- RESIDING WITHIN THE PARISH: According to canon law, all Catholics who reside within the geographical boundaries of Saint Agnes Parish are considered members of the parish, unless they have registered in another parish. Naturally, we hope that if you reside within the geographical boundaries of Saint Agnes, you will register at Saint Agnes by at your earliest convenience, unless you plan to register and be a member of another parish. The geographical boundaries of Saint Agnes include Fort Wright and Park Hills, and some adjacent areas of Covington and Fort Mitchell. Please call the Parish Office (859-431-1802) if you have any questions.
- RESIDING OUTSIDE OF THE PARISH: If you live outside the geographical boundaries of Saint Agnes Parish, you must register at Saint Agnes Parish and have been an active, contributing member of Saint Agnes Parish for one year before you can schedule a wedding at Saint Agnes.
– A child of parishioner can have their wedding at Saint Agnes. If the child currently belongs to another parish, he or she will be asked to obtain a letter from their pastor, granting permission for him or her to be married at Saint Agnes.
– The grandchild of a parishioner can generally have their wedding at Saint Agnes as a favor to their grandparent. If the grandchild currently belongs to another parish, he or she will be asked to obtain a letter from their pastor, granting permission for him or her to be married at Saint Agnes.
∙- Cases handled on an individual basis by the priest or deacon working with a couple may be scheduled by the priest or deacon at their discretion. In such situations, the couple may be asked to pay a special fee (currently $350) for use of the parish facilities. In this situation, Catholics who belong to other parishes will be asked to obtain a letter of permission from their pastor, granting permission for him or her to be married at Saint Agnes.
- After a couple has become engaged they can present themselves to the parish for the Sacrament of Marriage. This initial contact should take place at least nine months (exceptions are considered) in advance of the anticipated wedding date. The initial contact usually entails giving general information to the parish administrative assistant who will forward the information to the priest or deacon that will be working with the couple. The parish administrative assistant can give information about the availability of the church for given dates and times, but cannot schedule the date or reserve it. Only the priest or deacon who will work with the couple and preside at the wedding can reserve a date/time for the church.
- It is possible to celebrate the Sacrament of Marriage throughout the year. However, because of the penitential nature of the Season of Lent (from Ash Wednesday to Easter Sunday), it is recommended that if all possible couples avoid scheduling their marriage ceremony during this time.
- Before a date can be finalized, the couple must make contact with the priest or deacon who will officiate at the ceremony. Any priest or deacon who is in good standing with the Catholic Church is permitted to serve in this capacity. If not assigned to Saint Agnes, this priest or deacon must contact the parish and verify his commitment to officiate at the ceremony. This priest or deacon is also required to see that the couple is prepared for the sacrament (fulfilling parish and diocesan requirements) and must complete with the couple the required pre-nuptial paperwork.
- Please remember, the celebration of the Sacrament of Marriage is a religious and spiritual event. In order to preserve and honor the sacred nature of this sacrament, certain secular options and practices cannot be incorporated into the ceremony. Such matters are discussed and explained and additional information can be found, in the Saint Agnes Parish Wedding Policy. It is recommended that you read these Policies before proceeding any further so that you become aware of what is permitted and not permitted, what is possible and what is not possible, with regards to celebrating your marriage here at Saint Agnes Church. Also included is a fee schedule.